A social activity “news feed” provides a way for members to quickly share and collaborate with one another by updating each individual on the activity of other community members. Activity news feeds are a powerful way to ensure that members throughout the organization are quickly made aware of the information that is most appropriate to them. Administrators may select the news feed as their community home page from the System tab. An example of how this feed might look is shown below.
Note that the community newsfeed contains the following features:
- The feed will display a list of the most recent items to take place within the community.
- Information which is redundant, very short, or contains profanities is automatically filtered out (does not appear on the feed) in an effort to focus members on that content which is the “most interesting.”
- The feed will present up to three posts per day from a single member. Once a member has added more than three posts a link will be offered to display the additional posts from that member.
- When a new member (who has included a minimum of 75-characters in their profile summary) joins the community, other members are notified and invited to welcome them by “saying hi.”
- The photograph of the author of each piece of content appears in the feed. Members may mouse-over that photo to view the initial description of the author’s profile, allowing members to rapidly learn about other members in the community without having to click over to their full profile.
- Ratings are displayed next to each item, and each community member may “vote” on that item directly from the newsfeed page.
- Group meetings contain a “Save to Outlook” link so that members may quickly save off those items which they find most interesting.