Get Everyone On the Same Page!
When companies are large and decentralized, it's easy for individuals to get out of sync with one another. Status updates allow community members to post short messages directly to their community newsfeed and to their personal social profiles so that each individual can stay connected -- and learn what's important to their colleagues, share a quick idea, or pose a question.
Similar in concept to "tweets" used in Twitter, status updates can be used to:
Combined with in-place commenting, status updates provide an extremely convenient real-time communication channel that benefits not just the participants in an individual thread, but the entire community.
- Connect a group of employees who are spread out across multiple locations
- Serve as a common touchpoint for people working together on a project
- Provide a quick and easy way for people to pose questions of one another and ask for help
- Share a new idea or brainstorm
- Spark innovation by connecting individuals from different teams
- Provide a way for people to share interesting web pages or links to internal documents
- Help individual feel more connected and in-sync with one another
Integrated Into the Social Newsfeed
On the community platform, status updates do not "live" as a separate, stand-alone feature. Rather, they are tightly integrated directly into the community newsfeed-- so that each member may view these updates just as they learn about wiki page updates, new group discussion topics, or files another individual has uploaded to their portfolio. Status updates can be very effective at keeping all members of a social network connected and in-sync.
Activating Status Updates
Adding Status Updates to your community is easy. The ability for members to post Status Updates within a community is controlled by member role rights. Use the Roles Administration options to provide your members with the ability to post Status Updates. Please note that once the role settings have been updated members would need to login again for any changes to their role rights to be activated.